Request for proposals
(extension untill December 8)
Extension - CALL FOR PROPOSALS : CREATIVE ACTION ON BICYCLE LANES IN THE QUARTIER DES SPECTACLES
As the city’s cultural core, the Quartier des Spectacles is a showcase for the most interesting and innovative developments in every creative discipline. Its outdoor spaces are designed as sites for exploring and presenting new types of urban creative work. For this call for proposals, creators will be asked to work with a new type of space: the bicycle lanes that crisscross the Quartier.
This call for proposals is for works with a permanent element along with temporary elements designed to last three years. It is a collaborative call, involving the Bureau d’art public de la Ville de Montréal (BAP) and the Quartier des Spectacles Partnership within the framework of the government of Quebec’s legacies to the city on the occasion of its 375th anniversary. It is part of a wider reflection undertaken by the Bureau d’art public on the integration of public art into Montreal’s bicycle lanes, and on the creation of temporary installations for public spaces.
This call for proposals is intended for professional visual and digital artists. Artists may work with other design professionals (design, architecture, landscape architecture). All submissions must address both components of this call for proposals.
Actions may take any of several forms: sculpture, installations, imagery, lighting, and can be comprised of one or more elements. The project to be integrated into the district’s bicycle lanes (see point 3) is aimed at giving cyclists a unique experience and at showcasing the particular identity of Montreal and the Quartier des Spectacles.
The temporary work will debut in Spring 2018 until October 2020.
THE PROPOSAL MUST BE SUBMITTED NO LATER THAN DECEMBER 8, AT NOON.
TO KNOW ALL CRITERIA AND HOW TO SUBMIT, SEE:
SPECIAL CALL FOR PROPOSALS - OFFTA 2018
This call for proposals is now closed.
La Serre – arts vivants and the Quartier des Spectacles Partnership invite to submit for a special project at Place de la Paix from May 25th to June 3rd, 2018 (10 consecutive days) to propose a creation and design of a transcommunity1 park.
1 transcommunity: which transcends, facilitates, and stimulates encounters between ethnic, linguistic, generational and other types of communities
During the last edition of OFFTA, the place de la Paix hosted the Centre d'archivage du savoir sensible, a monumental installation of popular archiving which questioned issues of knowledge transmission. From May 30th to June 7th, 2017, this interactive and performative installation by Création Dans la Chambre collective transformed Place de la Paix into a place of poetical and learning exchange, inviting citizens to leave traces of knowledge.
In the context of the next edition of OFFTA, live arts festival, the Quartier des Spectacles Partnership and the team of LA SERRE — arts vivants proposes to an artist or a collective of artists to create and realize a major installation, interactive, playful, and non-technological, for a project of transcommunity park at Place de la Paix. In keeping with the issues of inclusion and the reclamation of public space, the installation should respond to the geographical and socio-historical context of place de la Paix, a crossroads where several communities meet.
- Propose a space of dialogue and encounters for the neighbouring communities, through the experience and interaction with an artwork grounded in public space
- Question the space in the perspective of live arts with an installation that can be activated for the entire duration of the festival
- Have at least four years of practice as a professional artist
- LA SERRE is committed to produce the project suggested by the artist or collective, providing administrative and production support
- The maximal budget of the project cannot exceed thirty-five thousand dollars (35 000$)
- Duration: 10 consecutive days from May 25th to June 3rd, 2018
It must include the following items:
- A detailed description of the project, including the installation and concept of activation (750 words maximum) ;
- Relevant visual material : photos and videos (for videos, please join a YouTube or Vimeo link to your application in the Title- Demo/Screener section) ;
- Short biographies of all artists involved and a short history of the company (if applicable) ;
- A production schedule
- A provisional budget
- The technical specifications of the project (even if the technical needs list is temporary) ;
- If your project contains text, please submit a synopsis or an excerpt of no more than five pages.
- Only one application per project ;
- The form has to be completed by November 5th, 2017 ;
- Only complete applications will be accepted ;
- Only applications from Canadian artists and company will be accepted ;
- The curators and the jury reserve the right not to comment their decisions ;
- The decision regarding your application will be communicated by the end of January 2018.
*Please make sure that your application contains all elements before submitting it.
Please note that this project is made possible through the generous support of the Quartier des Spectacles Partnership and of Canadian Heritage.