The Quartier des Spectacles Partnership (PQDS) will renew the springtime project presented on the Promenade des artistes. As a first step, the PQDS seeks expressions of interest in the creation of a new artistic experience. The PQDS wishes to produce a new signature installation for the Quartier, to be presented in spring for five consecutive years starting in 2022.
The project’s goals are to:
- Produce a work that will be presented on the Promenade des artistes starting in the spring of 2022
- Create a new iconic installation for the Quartier
- Entice Montrealers to see the work each spring
- Present a work that:
- Makes use of the site’s urban setting
- Is grounded in the current social and cultural context
- Is innovative in both form and function
- Is immersive or participatory or interactive or narrative
- Makes effective use of the space available on the Promenade des artistes
Through this call for expressions of interest, the PQDS will identify creative teams to be invited to propose a project during the call for proposals phase.
Teams must submit an application that includes all of the following elements:
- Introduction to the team or company – 2 pages maximum
- Presentation of 3 to 5 representative previous works, with an explanation of why the work was selected – maximum 1 page per project
- Letter of intent from the team or company describing their motivation and interest in participating in the call for proposals – 1 page maximum
- Description of the team’s creative approach and process – 1 page maximum
- Answers to the following questions:
- What is (are) the role(s) that an art installation on the Promenade des artistes should play, in light of the territorial, socio-cultural and socio-economic context? – 1 page maximum
- What is your perception of the role and identity of the Quartier des Spectacles, both locally and internationally? – 1 page maximum
The selection committee will only review complete applications that meet all criteria.
Submissions must be made by teams with an office in the province of Quebec.
Applications will be evaluated on the following criteria:
- Understanding and awareness of the project’s goals
- Inspiring vision for the identity of the Quartier des Spectacles
- Applicability of the creative approach to public space
- Relevance of past works
- The team’s experience and expertise
CALL FOR PROPOSALS
After the expressions-of-interest phase, 3 to 5 teams will be selected to present full proposals. These teams will each receive $2,000 CAD (plus applicable taxes) to prepare a proposal.
The creative team selected at the conclusion of the call for proposals will be required to: - Develop a detailed concept for the project, including a detailed and thorough project specification for the work (final concept, detailed design, technical drawings and other visuals, detailed description of the user experience)
- Oversee the production phase.
I must be feasible to produce the work with a total design and production budget of $300,000 CAD, plus applicable taxes. The budget must cover prototyping, fabrication, testing, assembly and disassembly for the first year’s presentation (2022). The PQDS will be responsible for transport and storage costs.
*The PQDS reserves the right to handle production by awarding a production budget to a subcontractor of its choosing. The budget for professional fees and production management will be established based on project specifics.
The terms of collaboration (property rights, project management…) will be detailed in a contract with the winning team.
The contract will include the following terms: - The Quartier des Spectacles Partnership, Montreal, retains ownership of the proposed installations - The winning team retains its copyrights
*If the PQDS does not put the projects presented or selected into full, completed production within 12 months following the submission of detailed concepts, all rights will revert to the teams.
APPLICATION & DEADLINES
Complete expressions of interest must be submitted by May 24, 2021, at noon Eastern time, by email to email@example.com.
- Deadline for submitting an expression of interest: May 24, 2021
- Announcement of 3 to 5 teams selected to participate in the call for proposals: June 11
- Opening of the call for proposals for the teams selected: June 14
- Deadline for submitting proposals: July 26
- Presentation to the selection jury: week of August 9
- Announcement of winning team: August 13
- Design and production: August 2021 to March 2022
- Delivery: early April 2022
- Exhibition: April-May 2022
From April 5 to 23, 2021, questions may be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org